Stopping tax credits: specialist areas: preventing dual provision for 16 to 19-year-olds who claim UC in their own right
With the introduction of Universal Credit (UC) there have been changes in legislation to prevent dual provision for 16 to 19 year olds who claim Universal Credit in their own right and are included as a qualifying young person in a child benefit and tax credit claim.
Note: Child Benefit Office will have already made initial enquiries to establish the earliest date to exclude the child. A referral will be made to TCO providing the information currently available.
If you are dealing with a new work item, go to
If you are dealing with an expired BF date, go to
If you are dealing with a reply to a previous enquiry and all the information has been provided, go to
If you are dealing with a reply to a previous enquiry and all the information has not been provided, go to .
Check the TC648 and associated C73G to see if there is a responsibility end date present for the QYP.
If there is a responsibility end date present, go to
If there is no responsibility end date present, go to .
Phone the customer to obtain the responsibility end date. For how to do this follow the guidance in TCM0094080
- do not mention Universal Credit in your phone call, if you need to refer to the action we are taking or how we have been made aware of a possible change, inform the customer we have information that another benefit is in payment for the young person
- probe the customer to establish if the young person has left FTNAE, AT or has moved out of the household and the date this occurred, by following the relevant steps in TCM0094080 and TCM0114060
- you can tell the customer that we will notify them of the outcome of our decision once we have established the date their responsibility ended.
If you are able to contact the customer and obtain the missing information, go to
If you are not able to contact the customer or you cannot obtain all the missing information, consider whether you have got sufficient evidence to amend the customer’s award.
Note: This could include evidence provided by UC or CBO to show that the young person no longer meets the QYP conditions because they are now receiving U.C.
If yes, go to
- complete form TC664 for the missing information. For how to do this, use TCM1000009
- issue the completed form to the customer
- set a clerical BF date for 30 days in the future
- add the following Household Note (Post Award) or Application Note (Pre Award) - “TY02 - DD/MM/YY TC664 issued to customer requesting child responsibility information”. For how to do this, use TCM1000001 (Household Note) or TCM1000028 (Application Note)
- take no further action - await BF expiry or customer response.
Check ADD to obtain the UC assessment start date by following the guidance available in the ‘ADD Helpcard’.
If you are unable to obtain this date after following this guidance, alert your TALLO
Note: If there is no UC payment, but there is IS or JSA, follow BAU guidance TCM0034120
- when the information is obtained, go to .
Note down the earliest date the YP ceases to meet the QYP entitlement conditions for FTNAE, AT or the date that the customer ceases to be responsible for them, for instance where they have left home, by following the relevant steps in TCM0034080 and TCM0114060
- compare that date against the UC assessment start date (minus 1 day as calculated at step 4) and note the earliest date. This date will be used to end responsibility for the QYP later in the process
- go to .
Check the status of the claim. For how to do this, use TCM1000025
If the claim is pre-award, go to
If the claim is post award, go to .
Before making any changes to the claim, follow the guidance in TCM0042260
- input the responsibility end date (as determined at ) for the relevant young person. For how to do this, use TCM1000171
- go to .
Complete the ‘Amend Finish’ screen. For how to do this, use TCM1000032
Note: The child or young person will not be excluded from the award until you have completed the ‘Amend Finish’ screen.
If a warning message displays
- pass the case to a Level 2 User or your manager, for their action
If a warning message displayed and you were able to make the change, go to
If a warning message did not display, go to .
- Add the following Household Note (Post Award) or Application Note (Pre Award) - TY01. For how to do this, use TCM1000001 (Household Note) or TCM1000028 (Application Note)
- where the customer has not responded to the TC664 - add the following Household Note (Post Award) / Application Note (Pre Award) - TY03
- go to .
If there is a period of entitlement between the date of the claim and the responsibility end date, go to
If there is no period of entitlement between the date of the claim and the responsibility end date
- remove the relevant young person from the claim using the responsibility end date (as determined at ) for the relevant young person. For how to do this, use TCM1000300 go to .
Enter the following details on the ‘Free Format’ screen for the relevant child or young person reason for the change:
- date of birth
- the responsibility end date.
For how to do this follow TCM1000036
- go to .
Send any correspondence to storage (if applicable). Follow the guidance in TCM0074140.