Specialist areas: Rapid Data Capture: Rapid Data Capture - post handling (AG)
Note: If you identify an exception case, put the attachments / valuables in a polylope, note the NINO and send to the following address:
(This content has been withheld because of exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000)
Establish whether the post is a valuable item.
Record the valuable post in the ‘valuables log’.
Note the following
Note: Don’t date stamp the valuable post.
- customer’s name
- customer’s NINO, if known
- date the post was received
- type of valuable
- your initials
- go to Step 3.
Establish whether the valuable post is relevant post or not relevant post.
- If the valuable post is relevant post, go to Step 6.
- If the valuable post is not relevant post, go to Step 8.
Date stamp the non-valuable post with the date of receipt
- go to Step 5.
Establish whether the non-valuable post is relevant post
- If the non-valuable post is relevant post, go to Step 6.
Note: If there’s an attachment that relates to this post, manually capture the claim.
- If there’s a form TC825 (Gift Aid), send the form to storage. Follow the guidance in TCM0074140.
- If the non-valuable post is not relevant post, go to Step 8.
Enter the following details on the attachment
- date of receipt
- customer’s NINO
- customer’s full name
- go to Step 7.
- it’s a form TC600A without a corresponding claim form, send the form TC600A to the Tax Credit Office post room
- the relevant attachment relates to a deceased person, pass the attachment to your manager for them to send to the appropriate team
- the relevant attachment relates to additional children, use Function CAPTURE APPLICATION to
Send the relevant attachment and the claim form to the relevant business area for manual capture. Take no further action.
Note: If the claim includes more than 18 children or a polygamous or polyandrous marriage, it should be referred to the International Team.
- However, if
- manually capture the additional child’s details
- go to the Summary Information screen and record the action you’ve taken in the Application Notes field
Note: You must follow the guidance in TCM0152060 when you record the note and also follow the guidance in TCM0152040.
- send the attachment to storage. Follow the guidance in TCM0074060
- take no further action.
Detach the claim form from the post
- send the claim form to be scanned
- go to Step 9.
As the post is not relevant to the claim, either
- return it to the customer and then go to Step 10
- the attachment requests that the claim is dealt with quickly or is similar correspondence, in which case put the attachment in confidential waste. Take no further action.
- the attachment is for other Government Departments or other HMRC offices, in which case send the attachment to the appropriate office
- send it to the team who requested the post and then go to Step 11.
Note: To establish where to send the post, follow the guidance in TCM0322560.
If you need to return the post to the customer
- complete form TC646 with the customer’s name and address and send it to the customer
- go to Step 11.
- Note: Cash must be sent by special delivery. Valuables must be sent by recorded delivery.
Update the Valuables Log with the date of return.