Notes - recording and viewing: Application Notes and Household Notes - correct completion (AG)
To add a note in Application Notes or Household Notes, consider steps 1 to 4.
If you’re adding
- an Application Note, follow the guidance in TCM0152040.
- a Household Note, go to .
To add a Household Note, use Function MAINTAIN HOUSEHOLD NOTES
- enter the customer’s NINO in the Key Entry Data screen
- select the ‘Latest’ checkbox
- select [OK]. You’ll be taken to the Maintain Household Notes screen
- select [Add Note]. You’ll be taken to the Add Note screen
Note: If there isn’t enough space to enter a new note, follow the guidance in TCM0152100.
- enter today’s date in the Event Date field
Note: The date in the Event Date field will always be the same as the date in the Creation Date field.
- select the appropriate category from the Select Category drop down menu
* If the note is to be marked as a retained note, go to . * If the note isn’t to be marked as retained, go to . Note: You can only mark a note as retained if you have the appropriate level of access, and you work in one of the following areas Customer Service and Support Group (CSSG) Appeals Compliance Debt Management Group Persons From Abroad.
Before you mark the note as retained, you must consider the following
- Does the information you’re entering need to be kept permanently?
- Will other areas need to be aware of this information before conducting any action on a claim?
Is this note essential to the correct processing of the claim (for example, residency or compliance issues)?
- If any of the circumstances apply, mark the note as retained by selecting the Retained Note checkbox. Go to .
- If none of the circumstances apply, don’t mark the note as retained. Go to .
Enter the main text of the note. The note must be
- prefixed with the effective date
Note: The effective date you use must be the date the change or amendment actually happened or the date you were notified of the change. If it isn’t possible to use any of the above dates, then the date the correspondence was received or the tax year the note relates to must be used to prefix the note.
- taken from the Action Guide you’re working from
or, if there is no note
- you must check Standardised Messages to check if there’s a message appropriate to your action
Note: If you’ve used a standardised message, prefix the message with the effective date. If you’re entering a standardised message with the code at the end of the message, you’ll be unable to prefix the message with an effective date. In these cases, you must enter the effective date at the end of the standardised message after the code.
Note: The Household Note must convey the action you have taken, for example
‘031007 Complaint Correspondence received or 2004/05 System Estimated Income amended by CR2222’
* If there is a message appropriate to your action, follow the guidance in [TCM0154060](https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-manual/tcm0154060) * If there isn’t a message appropriate to your action, record the following information * details of any enquiry you have made or received * who you contacted for the information, or who contacted you with the information * the details of the information you have requested, or the information that you’ve received.
If you’ve been notified of a change of circumstances, you must record
- the details of what has changed
- the details prior to the change
and, if known
- the effective date of the change
or, if not known
- the date you were notified of the change.
If you’re issuing a non-automated letter or form, you must record your details in the following format
- TCO - Form (number) or letter issued / Initials / PID / Team / Floor and or Room number / Group / Location
- Compliance - Form (number) or letter issued / Pay Identity (PI) number / Location.
In any other case, you must record your details in the following format
- TCO - Office / Initials / Location. For example, TCO Service / XX / Group XX
- Compliance - you should record your Pay Identity (PI) number.
then, once you have completed your action
- select [OK].