This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Tax Credits Manual

Eligibility - remunerative work (determining): Students (Info)

Students who receive Local Education Authority grants aren’t in qualifying remunerative work.

Although students may be full-time, the grant is a contribution to their maintenance and isn’t paid in return for work done on the course. Working for an academic degree is not self-employment.

This guidance applies equally to post-graduate students who receive research grants from their college or university.