Claims: capture (Q-Z): trace employer
When you are capturing a tax credits claim using Function CAPTURE APPLICATION or you are amending a claim in Function AMEND APPLICATION you may find that you have incomplete or incorrect employer details.
In either Function CAPTURE APPLICATION or Function AMEND APPLICATION, if you enter a valid employer reference number into the relevant field, the computer will automatically try and trace the employer record with that reference and populate the fields for the employer’s name and address for you.
If you haven’t been provided with an employer reference number or the computer can’t trace an employer with the reference number supplied, you must continue with a further trace.
If the name or address of the employer has been provided, you should use Function TRACE EMPLOYER to trace the employer record with the details that you have been provided with. The employer details you can trace with are
- employer reference number
- employer name
- employer address
- employer post code.
Note: In Function CAPTURE APPLICATION or Function AMEND APPLICATION, if the computer can trace an employer record with the reference number provided, the employer’s name and address details will be populated by the computer. These details may be different from those provided on the claim form. In these circumstances, you must enter the details provided by the customer.
To trace the employer details whilst capturing or amending a tax credits claim, consider steps 1 to 8.
Check if the employer reference number has been provided
- If the employer reference number has been provided, go to Step 2.
- If the employer reference number hasn’t been provided, go to Step 5.
Use Function CAPTURE APPLICATION for a pre-award claim or Function AMEND APPLICATION for a post award claim
- navigate to the Work screen and enter the employer reference number in the Employer Reference fields
- tab into the next field. If the computer has traced an employer with the reference you entered, the computer will populate the employer’s name and address details.
If the computer has traced the employer record check that the name and address details entered match those on the claim form
- If the name and address details match, take no further action.
- If the name and address details don’t match, amend the details so that they match the details on the claim form.
If the computer hasn’t been able to trace the employer record with the reference number you supplied
- go to Step 5.
Use Function CAPTURE APPLICATION for pre-award claims or Function AMEND APPLICATION for post award claims
- navigate to the Work screen
- If you are using Function CAPTURE APPLICATION, select [Trace Emp]. You will be taken to Function TRACE EMPLOYER.
- If you are using Function AMEND APPLICATION, select [Trace]. You will be taken to Function TRACE EMPLOYER.
In Function TRACE EMPLOYER
- enter the details of the employer that you have. All employers with matching or similar details will be displayed.
If the employer you want is displayed and the details match those on the claim form
- select the appropriate entry. You will be taken back to the function you were previously using where the employer’s details will be displayed in the relevant fields.
Note: If an employer is matched but the employer’s name is incorrect whilst all the other details are correct, you should ensure that the name displayed is the name used in the claim.
For example: ‘Sainsburys’ could be shown on the claim form but ‘JSSainsburys’ is shown on the screen. In these circumstances, you should use ‘JSSainsburys’ when capturing the claim.
If the employer you want isn’t displayed or no matches could be found
- abandon Function TRACE EMPLOYER. You will be taken back to the function you were previously using
- in Function CAPTURE APPLICATION or AMEND APPLICATION (as appropriate), enter the employer details as shown on the claim form.