Scope of stamp duty on shares: stamp duty: basics of a charge: reliefs
The more common reliefs applying to transactions within the stamp duty regime include:
- Intra-group relief - reduces duty to nil for transfers between associated companies provided that certain conditions are met (FA30/S42). See STSM022110
- Acquisition relief (whole of target company’s share capital) - reduces duty to nil when certain conditions are met (FA86/S77). See STSM022130
- Transfer of all or part of a company’s undertaking - reduces duty to nil when certain conditions are met (FA86/S75). See STSM022120
- Sales to Intermediaries - no duty payable on transfers of stock to recognised intermediaries (FA86/S80A0. See STSM022210
- Repurchases and Stock Lending - no duty on transfers of stock meeting certain criteria (FA86/S80C). See STSM022240
- Transfers to charities - no duty payable when certain criteria are met (FA82/S129). See STSM022140
- Loan capital - usually exempt subject to certain exceptions (FA86/S79). See STSM021220.
A full list of reliefs currently available which require formal adjudication can be found in the section dealing with adjudication. See STSM022100.