Scope of stamp duty on shares: stamp duty: adjudication, stamps and reliefs: acquisitions by charities
FA82/S129 provides for exemption from Stamp Duty for transfers to any of the following:
- a body of persons established for charitable purposes only
- the trustees of a trust established for charitable purposes only
- the Trustees of the National Heritage Memorial Fund
- the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts
- the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England
This includes NHS trusts and recognised further and higher educational establishments. There is no requirement that the charity be a registered charity, but registration with the Charity Commission or, in Scotland, the approved list held by HMRC, puts the status of the body beyond doubt.
How to claim the exemption
The document which is claimed to be exempt should be sent to Birmingham Stamp Office with evidence of the charitable status of the transferee.