Information Security: Password Management
HMRC Members of Shared Workspace must comply with HMRC standards as defined by S&ID Policy
If an HMRC Member loses their password they must follow the standard HMRC password reset procedure.
Customer Members: Password Criteria
Customer members access Shared Workspace via the Government Gateway. The password criteria for Government Gateway passwords are:
- The password must be 8 to 12 characters in length.
- Only alpha / numeric characters are allowable.
- A password must contain at least 1 letter and 1 number, with no punctuation.
- No password history is maintained but we strongly recommend that passwords are not recycled.
- The password has no set duration and will not ‘expire’.
- Users are able to reset their own password once they have logged into Government Gateway.
- Enforced password change after the customer’s first successful log-in to the Government Gateway Service.
- Passwords must not be divulged to others. In the event of suspected or actual compromise, the customer should immediately change their password.
Lost User ID and Password
If a Customer Member loses their User ID or their Password, they will need to follow the instructions at the Online Services log-in screen.
If a Customer Member loses both their User ID and Password they must contact the Online Services Helpdesk as follows
- Telephone: 0300 200 3600
- Textphone: 0300 200 3603
- Outside UK: +44 161 930 8445
NOTE: the Helpdesk will require the Member to provide adequate ID before help is given which may include providing the SWS Activation token and Member ID.