Introduction: Background to Shared Workspace
More and more of our customers are embracing new technology and want to communicate with us in ways that are most convenient for them. We want to provide people with high quality services that make it easier and quicker to work with us.
Shared Workspace is a service that brings people and information together online.
What is Shared Workspace?
Shared Workspace is a secure and flexible online service that enables HMRC to work and communicate quickly and easily with customer organisations. The service also supports team working across the diverse business of HMRC and other Government departments.The service allows members to ‘share’ information in a ‘space’ where they can work together in real time. More than one person can view or edit material at the same time, with all amended versions being automatically saved and organised.
Shared Workspace is very versatile and can be designed to meet the needs of customers who may deal with the different parts of HM Revenue & Customs. This also includes the more complex and specialist work that we do.
What can Shared Workspace do?
As well as having joint access to information, Shared Workspace offers other opportunities to enhance our dealings with each other, such as
- Calendars - Organise meetings and store related information
- Databases - Collect and organise linked records
- Discussions - Hold multi-person conversations
- Polls - Ask questions and vote on issues
The wide range of tools and features gives the unique flexibility to design Shared Workspace around the specific needs of our customers. It also allows customers instant control over who can access information within Shared Workspace.
What are the benefits?
Just like any other HMRC Online service, Shared Workspace has the advantages of
- Convenience - available to meet your needs twenty four hours a day
- Security - information is delivered securely and in confidence
- Confirmation - online assurance that communication has been received.
We also provide comprehensive support for Shared Workspace members through
- Online learning - explains how to use the service
- Shared Workspace Business Manual - contains guidance and policy
- Shared Workspace Internet and Intranet sites - gives information and news
- Helpline - telephone support
Note: Shared Workspace is available to HMRC, businesses and agents, not individuals. It is not a service on demand but by invitation or request.