Corrective account (C4): when is an account required (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)?
Strictly speaking a C4 should be completed in all cases where there is an amendment to the account.
You can insist on a C4 where:
- we are repaying money but we have any doubts that the repayment is due,
- there are lots of amendments or they are complicated,
- more tax is payable after a Form Cap A 5C (IHTM05083) has been sent to us, or
- assets that were given an estimated value in a reduced account (IHTM10471) are redirected to a chargeable beneficiary (IHTM10478).
If you have to ask for a form C4 and there is unpaid tax not in dispute, you might want to:
- raise provisional calculations, or
- suggest making a payment on account.