Dispositions for the maintenance of the transferor's family: maintenance of the transferor's children
- in favour of a child of either party, IHTA84/S11 (1)(a) and
for that child’s maintenance, education or training for a period ending not later than the year ending 5 April in which the child
- attains eighteen, or
- after attaining eighteen, ceases to undergo full-time education, IHTA84/S11 (1)(b). The definition of ‘child’ (
IHTM04172) does not include an illegitimate child, but a disposition in favour of an illegitimate child of the transferor can qualify under IHTA84/S11 (4), see below.
In view of the definition of ‘marriage’ or ‘civil partnership’, (IHTM04163) IHTA84/S11 covers a disposition in favour of a child of a former marriage or civil partnership if the disposition is made on the occasion of the dissolution or annulment of the marriage or civil partnership, or if it varies a disposition so made.
A gift by way of settlement is not within IHTA84/S11 (1)(b) if the child can receive benefits under the settlement after reaching eighteen and ceasing to undergo full- time education or training.
Children who have attained eighteen come within IHTA84/S11 (1)(b) only until they cease to undergo full-time education or training. In applying this provision
- you should disregard a mere temporary gap in full-time education, e.g. vacation jobs or service with Voluntary Service Overseas between school and university,
- if, exceptionally, you have to consider the application of IHTA84/S11 before the child has resumed full-time education, you may provisionally accept that IHTA84/S11 applies if the evidence supports this assumption,
- but if the child does not in fact resume full-time education, you should consider dispositions made after the child left school which have been treated as within IHTA84/S11,
- a disposition in favour of a child who had clearly ceased full-time education and taken a job (other than a purely temporary one) but had later decided to resume full-time education is not within IHTA84/S11.IHTA84/S11 (4) contains a provision similar to IHTA84/S11 (1)(b), see above, for dispositions for the maintenance, education or training of the transferor’s illegitimate children. IHTA84/S11 (4) does not cover dispositions for the illegitimate children of anyone else, such as the transferor’s spouse or civil partner. In considering whether a disposition is for the maintenance, education or training of the child for the appropriate period, apply the relevant part of the above instructions on IHTA84/S11 (1)(b).