This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Debt Management and Banking Manual

Ordinary Cause: Approaching the relevant HM Forces authority for compulsory deductions

Where after taking action at DMBM681210 the debt still remains unpaid you should

  • write to the appropriate HM Forces authority (DMBM667670)
  • enclose a photocopy of the Extract Decree
  • quote the defender’s
    • name
    • rank and
    • service number (where known)
  • point out that the serviceman/woman was given the opportunity to comply with the decree voluntarily but did not do so.

You should request that an order be made under the provisions of

  • Section 151A Army Act 1955 – for Army personnel
  • Section 151A Air Force Act 1955 – for Air Force personnel or
  • Section 128E Naval Discipline Act 1957 – for Naval personnel

for deductions from the defender’s pay of such sums considered appropriate in satisfaction of the decree and supply the name and address of the office to which the payment should be sent and the relevant reference number.