HMRC internal manual

Debt Management and Banking Manual

DMBM681210 - Ordinary Cause: HM Forces

You cannot arrest the pay of a member of HM Forces. Where decree has been awarded againsta serving member of the Regular Forces

  • write to the defender requesting payment in terms of the decree
  • consider proposals for payment where supported by evidence of income/expenditure.

Where an instalment arrangement is agreed

  • ask the defender to make payment direct to Banking Operations, Shipley; or
  • ask the paying officer for voluntary deductions to be made from the defender’s service pay and for these deductions to then be forwarded to the debt management office.

If the defender fails to respond warn him that unless payment is made you will approachthe relevant HM Forces authority for compulsory deductions to be made from his service pay(see DMBM667670).