Ordinary Cause: Stages of taking an ordinary cause action
At each stage of the proceedings you must
- ensure that the debt remains unpaid and
- record the action taken on all the appropriate records.
To start an action you need to
- prepare an initial writ with an exact copy for each defender and a copy for your records (DMBM680290 - DMBM680310)
- send the initial writ to the court for registration (DMBM680520)
- arrange for delivery of the service copy of the initial writ and citation of the defender(s) (DMBM680550)
- return the initial writ to the court with a minute for decree where no intention to defend has been lodged by the defender (DMBM680930)
- attend the court where necessary
- obtain extract decree where the action is successful (DMBM680980)
- instruct the sheriff officer as to how the decree that you have obtained for your debt is to be enforced (DMBM680990).