Debt and return pursuit: Child Benefit overpayments: enforcement: checking cases received for court proceedings
When you receive a case, make sure you have:
- the referral document
- a copy of the decision
- all other relevant documents
and also that the following checks/actions have been carried out:
- (This content has been withheld because of exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000)
- attempts have been made at different times to contact by phone
- residence has been confirmed within the last six months (date and report attached)
- the customer’s financial circumstances have been obtained within the last six months or the reason if not obtained
- a final warning (written or verbal) within last three months to the customer’s private address.
If you either:
- do not have enough information
- the papers are missing
- you consider further action is necessary before taking proceedings
return the papers to the recovery officer with a note of what you want.