Customer contact and data security: telephone contact: telephone technique: telephone do’s and don’ts
There are a few general rules to bear in mind when undertaking Debt Management telephone work. The list is not exhaustive.
- undertake verification check on every call (DMBM512800)
- give your name if asked (DMBM510340)
- remain professional at all times and remember that you are representing HMRC
- use the customers name if appropriate
- ask appropriate questions to resolve the issue as quickly as possible
- summarise any action you will take or you expect them to do
- note the record correctly (DMBM900500)
- remember that you are a representative of HMRC at all times.
- give information to the caller unless they have been verified
- speak over the customer
- be aggressive or use aggressive tones.