Office Manager Guide: Compliance
Tasks undertaken by this team
Risk & Intelligence - Risk Teams
Members of this team deal with the following CIS tasks:
- prioritising and risk assessing CIS compliance work
- providing CIS risk assessed cases by means of Standard Information Packages (SIPs) to local compliance staff
- Running Tax Treatment qualification Test (TTQT) Information only requests to inform Local Compliance of the need to run an ‘Ad-Hoc’ TTQT.
National Teams & Special Civil Investigations - Labour Provider Units
Members of this team look at issues relating to Labour Providers.
Local Compliance - Hidden Economy Teams
Members of this team deal with contractors and subcontractors who fail to register.
Local Compliance - Construction Industry Compliance Teams
Members of this team undertake construction industry reviews and enquiries. They also have the capacity to alter manually gross / net tax treatment.
Local Compliance - Employer Support Teams
Members of this team:
- deal with all status issues
- respond to Employment Status Indicator (ESI) technical queries / appeals.
CISR user roles required by this team
On the Compliance team staff should be allocated the CISR Compliance Officer role. This will allow them to deal with the following CIS tasks:
- identification of customers and authentication of contacts
- updates to customer details
- requests to issue pre-populated returns
- request for a change of tax treatment.
Staff on Risk teams should also be allocated the CISR Compliance Officer role to enable them to run ‘Information only’ TTQT requests. Staff in Labour Provider Units should be allocated the CISR View Only role.
To carry out some or all of these tasks a team member may need to view a customer’s CIS record. They may also need to view or check details of previous contacts with the customer (or customer’s representative).
Managers should be allocated the CISR Compliance Mgr role and will also have the authority to change a subcontractor’s tax treatment (outside of the TTQTprocess).