Our Conduct and Behaviour: personal safety: introduction
Personal safety is of paramount importance, especially when working out of the office. You should
- ensure you are familiar with your team’s risk-assessment and safe working practice
- ask about and observe the health and safety requirements of the premises being visited
- exercise care and forethought to avoid placing yourself at risk
- tell colleagues where you are visiting and record visits in Outlook
- consider whether to carry out the visit alone or accompanied by one or more colleagues, see COG11450
- withdraw from any potentially dangerous situation, for example if there is verbal abuse or the threat of physical abuse or the premises are unsafe
- immediately report any incident to your manager.
To prevent problems arising when dealing with the public
- avoid being drawn into arguments
- consider carrying an office mobile phone or personal alarm where these are available.
For further advice on personal safety, see ‘about you’ on the Intranet.