beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Complaint Handling Guidance

Dealing with complaints: Cross-business complaints

It is not uncommon to receive complaints that cover the activities of more than one Business Unit. So far as the complainant is concerned, they are dealing with HMRC, and you should make every effort to provide a joined-up response. To do otherwise could give the impression that our approach to customer service is fragmented and disjointed. Providing separate responses also carries the risk that the information provided by one business area may not tally with the information provided by another business area. This only serves to make matters worse and reflects badly on our professionalism.

Usually the bulk of any multi-aspect complaint relates to one particular business unit and in such cases that unit must take responsibility for coordinating the response, and seeking advice and help from other units as appropriate. If it is not obvious from the complaint which unit should take the lead, you must contact complaints handlers in the other unit(s) and agree between you who will take the lead and who will feed into the response. If you cannot agree who should respond, contact CCAST for advice.