This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Company Taxation Manual

Particular bodies: housing associations: co- operatives: approval

 To obtain relief under CTA10/PART13/CHAPTER7 (CTM40420), an association must be approved by the Secretary of State (or Scottish or Welsh Ministers) – CTA10/S644.  In practice the power of delegation to the relevant regulator of social housing is exercised – CTA10/S654.

It is a condition of approval that the association is a ‘registered society’ in Great Britain (formerly a registered industrial and provident society – see CTM40505 onwards) and is a housing association within the meaning of the Housing Associations Act 1985.  When the relevant authority approves an association, it receives an official letter of approval with instructions to send one copy to the HMRC office that deals with the association’s accounts.