Matching records: the matching exercise: introduction
The first step towards collecting Student Loan repayments is to match the borrower’s computer record held by the Student Loans Company with a live PAYE or SA record. This process is fully automatic and requires no clerical action by Network staff.
Once a PAYE or SA record is identified as belonging to a borrower, a signal is set on the computer records for both the taxpayer, and in a PAYE case, the employer.
It is necessary, for the following reasons, to identify employers who employ borrowers
- Start Notices and Stop Notices can be issued to the employer
- Information and guidance can be targeted at specific employers if necessary
- Statistical information can be collected for HMRC and the Department for Business Innovation & Skills (BIS)
- We shall be able to identify employers from whom Student Loan deductions may be expected
- The automatic end of year processing will be amended to prevent refunds or re-allocation of tax and NICs before the Student Loan position is resolved