This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Collection of Student Loans Manual

FAQs: employers questions and answers: can I deduct more to help t/p pay off loan?

Suggested answer

No. You should only deduct the amounts as calculated by your payroll software.

If your employee wants to pay off more than the statutory amount then he or she should phone the Student Loans Company (0300 100 0611), who will make payment arrangements. These payments would not replace the deductions that you have to make but would be additional payments.

HMRC action



1. The borrower can make any repayments he or she wants directly to the Student Loans Company. However, HMRC must collect only the statutory amount of repayments
2. The employer should never be told to phone the Student Loans Company. They will deal only with the borrower