Closing the Examination: Adjustment needed to the claim but a penalty is not appropriate
In these cases your examination will have established that the claim needs to be revised but you will not be seeking a penalty. This might be because the award is being increased. However, in most cases you will be decreasing the award but following the guidance in CCM10000, you will not be seeking a penalty.
Where there is no penalty you do not need to hold a settlement meeting and the case can be settled by correspondence.
At the closure stage you will need to:
- consider if adjustments are needed for an earlier or later year - see CCM8115
- consider if there will be an in-year recovery - see CCM8125
- inform the customer of your conclusion - see CCM8130
- amend or terminate the award or arrange for the claim to be processed if it is a pre-award examination and deal with any recovery - see CCM8160
- note TCW - see CCM8190
- close the office records and retain papers.