This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Claimant Compliance Manual

Working the examination: Action to take if no response from third party


You should follow the guidance at CCM5180 on allowing time to comply with the notice.

You must not amend or terminate an award simply because a third party has not provided the information you have requested, except in the limited circumstances see CCM Chapter 6 - Particular Aspects - Child Care CCM6320 et seq.

In principle, it would usually be unfair to take action against a claimant for a failure beyond his or her control. As a general rule, you should consider taking steps to initiate penalty action wherever a third party fails to comply with a formal information notice. Guidance on penalties can be found at CCM10000.

(This content has been withheld because of exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000)