This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Business Income Manual

Measuring the profits (particular trades): Licensed trade: contents

In order to serve alcohol, licences must be held by both an individual (usually the publican) and the premises. Individual staff members do not need to be licenced.

Licences are issued by the licensing authority. The tax treatment of the fees and expenses associated with licences is dependent on whether the business is incorporated or not.

In terms of the trading deduction that can be claimed by tenants of public houses for the rent paid, there needs to be an adjustment to take account of the duality of purpose of the dwelling house above the pub.

This chapter contains the following: