Documents and information required
Nomination process and information
Paragraphs 54 and 55 of Schedule 19
Banking groups may nominate an entity to be the responsible member for the group. BKLM442000 onwards provides further details of the process to establish the responsible member.
The process requires nominations to be made to HMRC and these nominations will need to be in the format, and contain the information, that is described below.
Nominations should be made in writing HMRC. Where groups have an appointed HMRC Client Relationship Manager (CRM), the nominations should be made to the CRM.
Nominations may be made by email (where protocols are in place) or via Shared Workspace.
The nomination should include the following information:
- details of the nominated company, including its name and corporation tax reference number
- confirmation that the company nominated to be responsible member:
* will be a chargeable member of the group at the end of that chargeable period (chargeable members are defined in paragraph 53(3) of Schedule 19), * will have accounting period that starts and ends on the same dates as the chargeable period, * has the means to pay the Bank Levy on behalf of the group.
Nominations must be made within 45 days of the start of the chargeable period and HMRC has 30 days from the date of receipt of the nomination to reject it (see BKLM442100 onwards for further details).
Paragraph 65 of Schedule 19
In 2011 special rules apply for nominations and paragraph 65(5) allows, where HMRC indicate, for nominations to be made prior to Finance Act 2011 being passed. These nominations will be treated as if they were received on the date that Finance Act 2011 was passed.
Otherwise, any nomination of an entity to be the responsible member for the group must be made within 7 days of the Finance Act 2011 being passed. This takes the place of the normal 45 day time limit that is prescribed in paragraph 54(3)(c). HMRC may reject any nomination within 7 days of its receipt of the nomination. This takes the place of the normal 30 day time limit following receipt of the nomination that is prescribed in paragraph 55(5) (see BKLM444100 for further details).
Further information can also be found as follows:
- Documents required as part of the return
BKLM452000 contains guidance relating to the financial documents that are required as part of the return.
- Information in respect of Bank Levy Quarterly Instalment Payments
BKLM462000 contains guidance on the documents and information required in respect of QIPs payments for bank levy purposes.