Waste exemption: U2 use of baled end-of-life tyres in construction
This exemption allows you to use a small number of end-of-life tyre bales in construction.
Construction means building or engineering work that includes repair, alteration, maintenance or improvement of existing works. Also includes preparatory work and landscaping.
Types of activity you can carry out
These could include:
- using tyre bales to provide a free draining layer behind a retaining wall
Types of activity you can’t carry out
- use other waste in construction under this exemption
- use tyre bales that are unsuitable for your project (meaning they do not comply with PAS 108 standard ‘specification for the production of tyre bales for use in construction’)
- store or use more than 50 tonnes of tyre bales during construction, you must use the minimum number of tyre bales needed
- use tyre bales which are not suitable, or more bales than are needed: this would be disposal and is not covered by an exemption
- use the tyre bales more than once
- store the tyre bales for more than 3 months before you use them
Type of waste you can use
The waste code is listed in the List of Wastes (LoW) Regulations. You need to make sure your waste fits within this waste code and the description.
|Waste code||Type of waste|
|160103||Baled end-of-life tyres only|
Amount of waste you can use
- store or use up to 50 tonnes of baled tyres in construction
- the bales must comply with standard PAS 108
- the waste cannot be used more than once
- the waste cannot be stored for longer than 3 months before use
If you want to use other waste in construction, you might consider exemption U1: using waste in construction.
If you want to bale tyres or treat them in another way you could register T8: mechanically treating end-of-life tyres.
If you want to use more than 50 tonnes of baled tyres on a civil engineering project, you will normally need to apply for an environmental permit from the Environment Agency. However, there is a current Modern Regulation Position Statement, MWRP RPS 085 which supports areas if they wish to agree a local enforcement position for use of PAS 108 baled tyres in civil engineering or landfill infrastructure schemes.
Register a U2 exemption
You must register this exemption with the Environment Agency if you meet the requirements: