Find out how to become a volunteer to support nature conservation where you live or work.
Natural England’s volunteers come from many backgrounds and get involved in a wide variety of tasks - from scientific surveying to enthusing visitors on our National Nature Reserves (NNRs). There is no minimum time commitment - you choose how much you do.
Find volunteering opportunities
For sustainability and fairness, Natural England does not encourage you to travel a long distance to your place of volunteering.
When Natural England has volunteering opportunities, they’re advertised here. There is high demand for the limited number of places.
Advertised volunteer roles
No current vacancies
Student placements and work experience
No current vacancies
Base your Masters, undergraduate, diploma, BTEC or A-level dissertation project on one of our NNRs.
Volunteer bat roost visitor
Natural England has a network of trained and licensed volunteer bat roost visitors (VBRVs). They provide advice about bats in homes, places of worship and public buildings. Find out how to become a VBRV.
Corporate or employer supported volunteering and team building days
Depending on your location, Natural England may be able to offer team building volunteering opportunities in practical conservation tasks.
Email email@example.com to explore possibilities. Include details of location, number of people and time of year you wish to volunteer.
How to register
For all roles except a volunteer bat roost visitor, complete the expression of interest form. Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Natural England will use this to find suitable opportunities near you so include as much information as possible.
See become a volunteer bat roost visitor for details on how to register for this role.
Overseas volunteers or students
You must check with UK Visas and Immigration that you’re eligible to volunteer in the UK. Natural England:
- is not registered as an official sponsor for overseas volunteers or students
- cannot cover travel expenses to the UK or accommodation expenses whilst in the UK
How Natural England treats your personal information
If Natural England cannot offer you a placement, it adds your details to a list of potential volunteers. It shares the list regularly with staff. They may contact you if a role becomes available. Natural England:
- keeps your details for up to 6 months, unless you ask us not to
- will only use your details to contact you about possible volunteering opportunities
The volunteers privacy notice gives more details.
Benefits and entitlements
By volunteering with Natural England you:
- give valuable support to the conservation of special habitats and species
- use your existing skills and learning new ones
- keep active
- work as part of a team with staff and other volunteers
- add valuable work experience to your CV
Natural England provides:
- information on your voluntary role and how it contributes to Natural England’s work
- an induction to your role
- information on health, safety and welfare
- an identity card for use during your voluntary role
- protective clothing or equipment required for your role (on loan)
- a reference if you apply for another job or voluntary role
- agreed out-of-pocket expenses