We support exporters and project developers in receipt of UK exports to manage project-related environmental, social and human rights risks and impacts.
Environmental, Social and Human Rights policy
As part of our support to UK exporters and in line with our international commitments, we identify and, where appropriate, conduct due diligence to assess the Environmental, Social and Human Rights (ESHR) risks and impacts of projects we are asked to support overseas.
The Policy and Practice on ESHR Due Diligence and Monitoring statement informs exporters, banks, project sponsors and other interested parties on our arrangements for:
- identifying ESHR risks and impacts and carrying out due diligence to be satisfied that, as far as practically possible, we support projects which should be constructed and operated in line with relevant standards
- monitoring alignment of projects with relevant ESHR standards over the life of UKEF support
Our note on Human Rights and Social Risks and Impacts describes UKEF’s approach to identifying and managing social and human rights risks and impacts of projects we are asked to support overseas.
The ESHR flowchart shows the processes we follow when considering environmental, health, safety, social and human rights impacts.
The Export Guarantee Advisory Committee advises the Secretary of State for International Trade on our operations, including ESHR risks.
UKEF is also part of the OECD Export Credit Agency (ECA) Environmental and Social Practitioners group, which developed and maintains a guidance note on good practice in the use of consultants by ECAs.
The Equator Principles
- 26 June 2017: UK Export Finance joins Equator Principles steering committee
- 4 November 2016: UKEF’s implementation of the Equator Principles
- 31 March 2016: UKEF adopts Equator Principles
UKEF supports UK companies export all over the world.
Category A projects
Category A projects are those with the potential to have significant adverse environmental and/or social impacts.
We publish details whenever we consider support of a Category A project, and additional information when our support is in effect.
ESHR risk and impact categorisations
We publish data on new and existing ESHR risk and impact categorisations and contingent liabilities as part of our Annual Report and Accounts: