Types of apprenticeships that you can apply for in the technical theatre sector.
This apprenticeship is for people who want to train as a lighting technician in the performing arts industry.
You’ll train as assistant lighting or lighting technicians, learning how lighting can dramatically alter the mood and shape of a performance to delight audiences.
Intermediate level technical theatre support apprentices will train as a lighting technician assistant. You’ll be responsible for liaising with lighting director, designer, floor manager, producer and sound technician to agree lighting design. You’ll co-ordinate and handle equipment and technical crew, assemble lighting equipment for special effects, programme consoles and operate a follow spotlight.
On the advanced level apprenticeship you’ll:
- train as a lighting technician
- keep up to date with technical developments in the live arts
- source lighting/special effects equipment and consumables
- supervise the operation of lighting control systems
- operate lighting for a live performance, checking control systems and health and safety
Types of apprenticeships
Intermediate level apprenticeship
You’ll train as a lighting technician assistant.
Advanced level apprenticeship
You’ll train as a lighting technician.
Apply for a technical theatre apprenticeship
You can become an apprentice in England if you’re:
- 16 or over
- eligible to work in England
- not in full-time education