Guidance and registration forms for further education providers to apply for Taking Teaching Further (TTF) 2023.
Applies to England
Taking Teaching Further (TTF) is a programme that supports further education (FE) providers to recruit and provide early career support to those with relevant knowledge and industry experience to retrain as FE teachers.
TTF 2023 registrations are now open. FE providers can register until 30 November 2023, and successfully registered providers can register recruits until 31 January 2024.
This page is for FE providers. There is more information about becoming an FE teacher.
The programme aims to support FE providers to recruit highly-skilled professionals to retrain as FE teachers to deliver high-quality, work-relevant skills training - particularly in T Levels and apprenticeships.
Up to £18,200 in grant funding is available to providers over 2 financial years per eligible recruit. Funding is provided to cover:
- the cost of undertaking a teaching qualification – a level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DET), or higher
- costs of additional teacher time to provide the recruit with intensive support - for example through team teaching, work shadowing and mentoring arrangements
- costs to cover the recruit having a reduced teaching timetable over the 2 years of the programme
Financial incentive for TTF recruits
In addition to the funding and support FE providers will receive, the Department for Education (DfE) is piloting a new financial incentive for TTF recruits who are recruited to teach in some of the most hard-to-fill subjects:
- construction and the built environment
- engineering and manufacturing
This incentive payment is for eligible recruits. They will receive:
- £3,000 at the end of the first year of the programme
- £3,000 at the end of the second year of the programme
Places on the financial incentive pilot are limited, so it is important you inform us about a recruit as soon as possible following successful recruitment.
There is more information on TTF and the financial incentive pilot in the TTF programme guidance.
Eligibility for TTF 2023
TTF is open to eligible FE providers through 2 routes.
- Route 1 is open to general FE colleges, sixth-form colleges, land-based colleges and institutes of adult learning
- Route 2 is open to independent training providers, employer providers, third sector training providers, local authority providers, adult and community learning providers, and specialist post-16 institutions
There is more information on each of the application routes in the corresponding guidance documents.
How to register
You will first need to complete a college (route 1) or provider (route 2) registration form and send it to the TTF team at TTF.Enquiries@education.gov.uk.
Once college or provider eligibility has been confirmed, you will be able to notify us of recruits you wish to be considered for TTF funding. You will do this by completing the recruit registration form, which we will email to you when we confirm college or provider eligibility.
You must notify DfE of a recruit you would like to be considered for TTF funding at the earliest opportunity, following successful recruitment, as we will need to confirm their eligibility.
If you need further information, contact TTF.Enquiries@education.gov.uk.
The privacy notice explains how DfE uses personal information in TTF. This includes information you give to us, or information that we may collect about you.