Taking cash in and out of Great Britain

Find out what to do if you carry cash of £10,000 or more when you enter or leave Great Britain to or from any other country.

If you carry cash of £10,000 or more when you enter or leave Great Britain to or from any other country you must declare it.

You need to make a declaration if you’re carrying cash and travelling from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

You do not need to make a declaration when you’re taking cash from Northern Ireland to Great Britain.

Cash includes:

  • notes and coins
  • bankers’ drafts
  • travellers’ cheques
  • cheques (including travellers’ cheques) that are signed but not made out to a person or organisation

If you’re travelling in a group you need to declare if the total amount of cash being carried is £10,000 or more.

What you’ll need

You’ll need to provide information on:

  • the currencies your cash is in

  • how your cash is made up - for example notes or cheques

  • where your cash came from

  • how you’ll use your cash

  • who owns the cash

  • who is getting the cash

  • your passport number

  • the details of your journey, including any connections or changes. If you are travelling from a private airfield or port, you must tell us

If you’re carrying more than 5 currencies, you need to upload a document with details of the types of cash (for example, notes or cheques) and amounts.

How to declare

You can make a declaration using an online form.

You may make the declaration at any time in the 72 hours prior to the time of travel.

You can also make a declaration at ports where there is a Red Channel. You will need to get a form BOR 9011 from a Border Force officer.

If travelling through a port that has no Border Force Officer, and you cannot complete the form on-line then you can call the Customer Service Group on 0300 322 9434 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm).

How to appeal a penalty

You could face a penalty of up to £5,000 if you do not declare your cash or give incorrect information.

Your declared cash can be seized by customs officers if they have reasonable grounds to suspect a crime. They can keep the cash for 48 hours - after that they need a court order.

You can write to Border Force Reviews and Appeals if you disagree with a penalty. You must state why you disagree with the decision you’ve been given.

You have 30 days to appeal from the date of the penalty notice.

Fraud Investigation Service
FIS POC Operations – Cash Declaration Penalty Team
NE98 1ZZ

Published 28 December 2020