Use this service to check your files for formatting errors before submitting annual returns for employment related securities.
To avoid rejected spreadsheets when you submit employment related securities (ERS) annual returns use this free service from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to check your files first.
Template spreadsheets for the different types of employment related securities are available here.
You must submit annual returns by 6 July to avoid penalties.
Step-by-step guide to using the service
There’s no limit to the number of times you can check a spreadsheet throughout the year. Check your data as you go to identify and correct any formatting errors.
Employers and their agents can use the service as long as the employer has registered at least one scheme.
You’ll need to know which type of ERS scheme or arrangement your spreadsheet is for.
When you’re ready to check or file your spreadsheet, follow these steps:
- Log in to HMRC Online Services or follow the link from the Check your employment related securities files and submit returns ‘Start now’ button.
- Continue past the security page and select ‘Services you can use’ in the left-hand menu.
- Select ‘PAYE for Employers’. If you’re an agent you should select ‘Employment related securities (ERS) for Agents’ and follow the on screen instructions to find your relevant client.
- Select ‘View schemes and arrangements’ under ‘Employment Related Securities’ towards the bottom right-hand side of the page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of schemes, select ‘Check your ERS files’ and follow the on screen instructions.
The time it takes to check a file depends on the speed of your internet connection and the size of your template spreadsheet.
When the check is complete you’ll be told either:
- there are no errors
- you can view errors in a PDF file or a web page
Correct any errors and check your file again. You can check a different spreadsheet or click finish to exit the checking service.
You can continue using this service to file your ERS return.
From the screen at step 4 above select the registered scheme you want to submit an annual return for. Follow the instructions on screen to submit your return