Types of apprenticeships that you can apply for in the sporting excellence sector.
This advanced apprenticeship is for young people (aged 16-18) who have the realistic potential to become professional athletes, pursuing their sport as their main career goal.
The programme is not a qualification for simply ‘playing the game’ it is structured training and development across many sports for the few talented young athletes who may reach olympic or paralympic level, or who may secure a professional contract.
Types of apprenticeships
This advanced apprenticeship is designed for people in the following situations:
- full-time contracted apprentices at professional clubs
- full-time elite athletes receiving support from the lottery world class programme and identified by their respective national governing body (for example, UK Athletics)
- young people involved in the talented athlete scholarship scheme (TASS)
- talented young people in the “academy environment” at professional clubs not yet offered full-time contracts.
Recruitment onto this advanced apprenticeship is driven through the national governing bodies of each sport.
In addition to learning about the technical, tactical, physical and psychological aspects of your sport other important issues such as lifestyle, communication, career management and health and safety are covered.
- full time athlete (funded)
- sports coach
- support officer in high performance environments
- professional/semi professional athlete