Services provided by the District Valuer Service
DVS provides property services for the public sector including: planning and property consultancy and energy and sustainability consultancy.
The District Valuer Service (DVS) provides a range of property services for the public sector:
- strategic asset management
- planning and property consultancy
- machinery and business asset advice and valuation
- energy and sustainability consultancy
Strategic asset management
The DVS helps organisations to understand and make the most of their assets by:
- explaining legislation
- preparing asset management plans and support
- helping with budgeting
- reviewing property assets and features to help identify cost savings
- providing skilled temporary staff
- working with senior managers to help them understand the importance of cost buildings and of asset management
Planning and property consultancy
The DVS provides planning advice to public sector organisations who are providing local amenities or affordable housing.
They provide advice at the Local Development Framework stage. They can also help with any disputed planning applications that relate to affordable housing, ‘Committed sum payments’ and ‘S106 contributions’.
The DVS helps local authorities with planning appeals and public inquiries.
The DVS provides property experts, including:
- development consultants
- quantity surveyors
- building surveyors
- contamination experts
Machinery and asset advice and valuations
The DVS advises on, and values an organisation’s fixed assets such as plant and machinery.
They can create and maintain asset registers to help managers and auditors understand asset values.
When an organisation is dealing with compulsory purchase issues, the DVS can provide valuations for plant and machinery assets.
Energy and sustainability services
Public sector property organisations must comply with European legislation (European Energy Performance of Buildings Directive, Carbon Reduction Commitment, Sustainable Buildings Certification (New Build & Existing) and Corporate Social Reporting).
The DVS advises on how an organisation can reduce energy use, improve sustainability and comply with legislation. They can provide advice and support on:
- obtaining Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) for non-domestic (business) buildings and Display Energy Certificates (DECs) for public buildings
- attaining BREEAM for new and existing properties
- environmental performance reviews
- creating energy reduction and sustainability policies
Published: 22 July 2016