School-to-school support fund
Grants for national leaders of education and teaching schools to support underperforming maintained schools and academies.
The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) provides grants, for teaching schools and national leaders of education (NLEs), to support school improvement by working with underperforming maintained schools and academies.
Grants of up to £20,000 are available.
Apply now. The application round for the School-to-school support fund is now open. Please submit your application by Friday 4 November 2016 at midday.
Before you start your application we strongly advise you read the following documents:
Who can apply
Teaching schools and NLEs can apply for grants to provide support that meets the criteria below.
As a school offering support, you should be either a:
- designated national support school, committed to supporting other schools to raise standards
- designated teaching school with capacity to co-ordinate and oversee high quality support to a number of schools, through a number of system leaders
Schools receiving support should:
- be a maintained school judged by Ofsted as requires improvement or an academy judged as requires improvement or inadequate (applications to support maintained schools and academies with different Ofsted judgements will be considered in exceptional circumstances)
- be open to receiving support from an NLE or teaching school to help improve school performance
- not be receiving funding from other sources for similar school improvement purposes, such as funding from an academy sponsor or grants for academy conversion.
In order to identify schools that will benefit most from receiving support, you should discuss your potential applications with:
- regional schools commissioners
- teaching schools council regional representatives
- local authorities
|Application round opens||Monday 12 September 2016|
|Application round closes||Friday 4 November 2016 at midday|
|Application assessment||November 2016|
|Outcomes and grant awarded (subject to DfE funding approval||by end of December 2016|
We’ll prioritise applications based on Ofsted and school performance data. Applications will also be reviewed by teaching schools council regional representatives and regional schools commissioners.
You’ll be responsible for overseeing a number of supported schools and will be accountable for:
- the grant monies
- the outcomes of the support
- reporting to us on grant spend, impact and outcomes
Information for local authorities and dioceses
If you have schools that would benefit from the support of a NLE or teaching school, you could:
- contact a teaching school alliance, who will source system leader resource and agree support plans with the schools
- contact an NLE and work with the NLE and schools to agree plans for support
- request support from a teaching school council regional representative – they will then work with an appropriate alliance to arrange resource and submit an application
The teaching school or NLE will be responsible for submitting the application.
To find a teaching school alliance or NLE please view the school-to-school support directory.
School-to-school support fund
Published: 24 September 2014
Updated: 14 September 2016
- School-to-school support fund application round now open.
- Application assessment updated
- Application round now open.
- New application round announced.
- Application round is now closed.
- application round closed
- Application round has been extended to midday on 7 November 2014.
- Application round is now open.
- First published.