Roads Academy is a joint initiative from Highways England and the roads industry. It offers membership, masterclasses and leadership development.
Roads Academy is a cross-sector leadership development academy. Our sector continues to face significant challenges as we gear up to deliver vital investment in UK infrastructure.
Over the last 7 years, our Roads Academy has aimed to secure an industry-wide step change by developing senior leaders who can tackle the complex challenges we face. We believe it will continue to make an important contribution in the years to come.
Being a member of Roads Academy gives you:
- the opportunity to develop your staff through subsidised developments programme
- 2 places on each Roads Academy masterclass, delivered by leaders in the roads sector
- access to cutting edge knowledge and best practice
- the chance to influence and contribute to the future of the roads sector
- a platform to tell the industry about your experiences and success
- the opportunity to be involved in the Roads Academy steering group
- opportunities to network across the roads sector
- regular newsletters
Become a member organisation
To become a member, email: email@example.com
The annual membership fee is £3,000 per organisation
Roads Academy offers prestigious leadership development programmes, created with significant input from the whole roads sector and expertise from both industry and academia. These programmes are subsidised by Highways England, offering you great value for money.
The Emerging Leaders programme provides participants with skills focused around operational leadership and management.
The Senior Leaders programme focuses on more strategic leadership.
The Roads Academy leadership development programmes offer you:
- support and development to become a skilled and influential future leader
- innovative thinking and collaboration
- a platform to share best practice
- ways to improve safety, sustainability and value for money
- an understanding of sector needs
Emerging Leaders programme
Roads Academy will launch a new, cross-sector “Emerging Leaders” programme in June 2017. The programme adopts interactive and fully immersive teaching methods and will be accredited by Coventry University.
This programme will provide you with the opportunity to explore front-line and team leadership and management. It serves as a route into the later stages of the Roads Academy; the Postgraduate Diploma and Master’s “top-up”.
The Emerging Leaders programme will take the forward-thinking leadership training from our existing Roads Academy Senior Leaders programme and focus it on the emerging talent at the heart of our organisations.
Upon completion of the Emerging Leaders programme participants will be awarded a Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership in the Roads Sector (Postgraduate Certificate).
You don’t have to complete the Emerging Leaders programme before applying for the Senior Leaders programme.
Senior Leaders programme fee: £6,000
Emerging Leaders programme fee: £4,000
PDF, 110KB, 1 page
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Senior Leaders programme
The programme challenges current thinking from day one. You will work with live issues to ensure that you can implement your learning both during the programme and beyond.
The programme emphasises the practical use of knowledge and learning for the benefit of delegate, organisation and the wider roads sector. It aims to produce people who are:
- confident in their knowledge
- skilled and influential leaders and managers
- able to tackle the complex challenges encountered in the roads sector
The Senior Leaders programme is delivered by Coventry University. Coventry University has first class facilities, an innovative approach to learning and insider knowledge and expertise.
On successful completion you will be awarded:
- a formal postgraduate diploma in Leadership in the Roads Sector
- 60 Credit, Accumulation and Transfer (CAT) points at masters level
- a Roads Academy diploma
You will also:
- build your expertise and CV
- raise your career profile
- receive personal coaching
- network across the sector
On returning to your organisation you will act as a catalyst for change in the way industry thinks, behaves and performs.
The next cohort will start in January 2018 with applications opening in October 2017.
If you are interested in finding out more about the Senior Leaders programme contact email@example.com
Roads Academy offers a minimum of 2 masterclasses each year. Masterclasses involve a combination of expert and academic input, group discussion and working with live issues.
Masterclasses are a great opportunity for collaboration and networking between member organisations, development programme participants and attendees from across the roads industry. As a masterclass delegate you will explore situations you face and share your ideas in group sessions. There are opportunities for questions and debate.
Each masterclass will cover a different topic depending on the current needs and challenges facing the sector. The underlying theory introduced at masterclasses can be a challenge to conventional thinking. Typical subjects may include:
- strategic leadership in infrastructure
- systems thinking
- crisis leadership
- thriving in a political environment
Member organisations are entitled to two places at every masterclass as part of their membership. You can purchase additional places at each masterclass - email for the latest prices. Places are also provided to current and past development programme delegates.
If you have any questions about the academy please speak to your manager or contact a member of the Roads Academy project team.
Published: 7 September 2015
Updated: 30 June 2017
- Emerging Leaders selection framework document added
- Emerging Leaders programme content updated
- Content updated following change of provider.
- Link to jobs site added so users can view application form
- Updated to announce that 2017 applications will open in September 2016.
- First published.