Find out about Highways England’s approach to planning, the issues we look at when considering draft planning documents and planning applications.
Highways England is a statutory consultee in the planning system and aims to be a proactive planning partner.
You should use Highways England’s major road network. For example as a member of a:if you are involved in plan making, development management/promotion or decision taking for land close to any part of
- local authority
- Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP)
- community group
We can work with you to:
- consider the most appropriate locations for development
- develop strong policies and proposals that are sustainable, practical and well-designed
- make the best of opportunities around our major routes
- assess potential impact on the Highways England road network
- consider how best to deliver the development
- minimise adverse impact
- assess requirements for mitigation works
The document is written in the context of statutory responsibilities as set out in our Licence, and in the light of government policy and regulation, including the National Planning Policy Framework and Department for Transport Circular The Strategic Road Network and the delivery of sustainable development.
National Growth & Economic Development team: firstname.lastname@example.org
South East: planningSE@highwaysengland.co.uk
South West: planningSW@highwaysengland.co.uk
East of England: planningEE@highwaysengland.co.uk
North West: planningNW@highwaysengland.co.uk
Yorkshire & North East: planningYNE@highwaysengland.co.uk
If you are unsure which regional team to contact you can view.