CCS health temporary staff frameworks
Information for NHS trusts on the Crown Commercial Service (CCS) health temporary staff frameworks approved by NHS Improvement.
CCS provides the NHS with a compliant way to source all of their agency staffing needs through 5 framework agreements that have been approved by NHS Improvement, alongside a framework for workforce management (staff banks). This page provides NHS trusts with further information about the approved frameworks and the benefits they offer.
NHS Improvement (formerly Monitor and Trust Development Authority) has implemented a price cap on the amount of money that trusts can pay per hour for agency staff working for the NHS. Alongside the cap, new rules, which came into force on 1 April 2016, include a requirement that all agency staff sourcing must be done through approved framework agreements.
Why choose CCS
- Compliant: NHS Improvement price caps (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 45.9KB) are contractually embedded in all our approved temporary staffing frameworks.
- Flexible: our override mechanism allows you to stay “on framework” if you need to go over the price cap to get the right staff to ensure patient safety.
- Ready and free to use: all our frameworks are ready to use today and there are no customer fees or charges.
- Support: we will give you advice and guidance on how to use the frameworks and provide hands-on support to help you achieve savings.
- Choice: an extensive range of suppliers from small regional businesses to national organisations.
- Managed: our in-house assurance team ensure all our suppliers comply with NHS Employment Check Standards.
What our customers say
“Having attended two CCS workshops about agency staffing, I found the workshops to be useful, informative and beneficial. CCS staff were knowledgeable, helpful and willing to explain in detail the agency rules process and how it links to frameworks. The ability to network with peers was also invaluable. These workshops helped me to obtain a better understanding to fuel my knowledge for a recent procurement Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospital (DBH) ran through the CCS RM3711 framework for Multidisciplinary Temporary Healthcare Personnel. The support I received from CCS, and in particular Helen Hess, with regards to the procurement exercise DBH ran on behalf of three trusts, was of the highest standard and helped the trust complete a successful procurement that will save millions of pounds a year.”
Richard Somerset MCIPS, Senior Category Manager, Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
“The health workforce team has been extremely valuable in supporting our mini competition for workforce management (staff bank). We had a key contact from the team who we could go to for advice and guidance throughout the process.”
Denise Sayles, Head of Contracting at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
The CCS frameworks
There are 5 CCS frameworks approved by NHS Improvement for you to use. They are:
Multidisciplinary Temporary Health Personnel (RM3711) - use this agreement to source all your temporary clinical staff needs, across all health and social care job roles and pay bands.
Non Medical Non Clinical (RM971) - use this agreement to source temporary non-clinical staff in any office, clerical or manual role from the most junior to the most senior, including board level roles. For example, administrative, legal, IT, catering, portering and security roles.
Plus 3 frameworks to help you fulfil specific clinical job roles:
Agency Nursing and Social Care (RM970) for the supply of agency nurses and social care workers, covering the full range of job roles and bands.
Allied Health Professionals, Health Science and Emergency Services Temporary Staff (RM959) for the supply of allied health professionals, health science services and emergency services temporary staff, covering the full range of Agenda for Change bands and NHS Employers job profiles.
Locum Doctors including Locum GPs (RM1570) for the supply of temporary and fixed term locum doctors across the full range of grades and specialities, including general practitioners (GPs).
We also have a Workforce Management (RM1072) agreement which complements the 5 approved frameworks. It is designed to support you in managing your workforce more effectively and reducing your reliance on agency staff.
We operate an internal supplier assurance function to provide us with assurance that framework suppliers are fulfilling their contractual obligations, including NHS Employment Check Standards before placing candidates. Learn more:
- Health supplier assurance (PDF, 405KB, 4 pages)
Download copies of our brochures which provide an overview of our agreements and the benefits of using them:
Total Workforce Solutions (PDF, 1.33MB, 4 pages)
Complying with NHS agency rules (PDF, 772KB, 4 pages)
Workforce Management (RM1072) (PDF, 469KB, 4 pages)
Multidisciplinary Temporary Health Personnel (RM3711) (PDF, 426KB, 4 pages)
Non Medical Non Clinical (RM971) (PDF, 441KB, 4 pages)
Agency Nursing and Social Care (RM970) (PDF, 431KB, 4 pages)
Locum Doctors including Locum GPs (RM1570) (PDF, 514KB, 4 pages)
Advice and support
For guidance on how to use the frameworks and hands-on support to help you achieve savings please get in touch with our dedicated project team:
Call 0345 410 2222
You can also sign up for email alerts which will let you know when we have added or updated information on the GOV.UK website. It is a great way to stay up to date with the latest news and information from CCS.
Published: 14 April 2016
Updated: 28 November 2016
- Added health supplier assurance information.
- Removed workshop details as now taken place.
- Added new brochure: 'Total Workforce Solutions'.
- Updated Agenda
- Added agenda for October workshops.
- Added details of free workshops in October to support NHS trusts in managing their workforce more effectively and reducing reliance on agency staff.
- Added information about the upcoming events the health workforce project team will be at.
- Added brochures providing an overview of each agency staffing framework.
- Customer testimonial added.
- Added NHS Improvement agency staff price caps table.
- Updated event information
- Extra London event on 1 June added as 19 May is now full.
- Added link to brochure "Complying with NHS agency rules".
- Updated benefits information.
- Added details of the regional workshops we are hosting 17-19 May.
- First published.