This guide sets out the dataset specifications for the National Fraud Initiative (NFI) 2020 to 2021 national exercise and NFI council tax single person discount 2020 to 2021 and 2021 to 2022 exercises.
Please note that data:
- should be extracted according to the National Fraud Initiative (NFI) timetables
- should only be submitted through the secure NFI web application
Read more about uploading data to the NFI.
Changes for the 2020 to 2021 exercise
The NFI reviews data specifications before each exercise. Although changes have been kept to a minimum, some are necessary to improve the matching process and the quality of matches.
Trade creditors data specifications
Trade creditors standing data should:
- be a snapshot of trade creditors current at the date of extraction
- exclude dormant or suspended creditors
- cover the period given in the data specification
Personal budgets and social care payments data specification
- relate to personal budget payments paid as direct payments (for the mandatory exercise) or social care payments (if matching this data voluntarily) to those applicants over 18 years of age only
- include only current recipients
- have one single record for each recipient
Pensions data specification
Data should be uploaded in 3 separate files:
- current pensioners (those currently receiving a pension)
- pensioners currently receiving a pension gratuity (if applicable)
- deferred pensioners not currently in payment (optional)
Please note any pensions currently in payment should be included in the ‘current pensioners’ file.
Payroll data specification
Payroll data should be provided in accordance with this data specification.
Licences data specification
This specification includes licences for taxi drivers.
Housing data specifications
Housing waiting list
The following housing waiting list data is required.
The housing data that should be uploaded includes:
- current named tenants, including those where a right to buy purchase is in progress
- former tenants who completed a right to buy application during the period stated in the data specification
Electoral Register data specification
Electoral Register data should be submitted annually. View the council tax single person discount timetable. Please note that you are required to password protect each dataset once extracted from the relevant systems.
To find out who should supply data, refer to the data requirements guide.
- should be the ‘full version’ of the Electoral Register (not the commercially available ‘edited version’)
- should relate to the appropriate registration exercise
- should include the Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN) field in your submission if it is fully or part populated
- should be extracted and submitted after the Register is formally published
The upload process involves automatic mapping of fields to the specification by field name recognition. However, if there are no field names within the extracted data, it will require the person uploading to manually map each field to the appropriate field within the specification on the data file upload system. Therefore, it’s better to include field names within the data extract if possible.
Council Tax data specification
Council Tax (CT) data should be submitted annually. This means that when you have submitted CT and Electoral Register (ER) datasets for single person discount (SPD) fraud matching, the NFI can release your matches (unless you encounter data issues that we need to resolve). You will not need to wait for all councils to submit their data.
To find out who should supply council tax data, view the data requirements.
Whilst the process is up to individual bodies, we encourage the principle of sharing extraction routines to make the process more efficient and economical. For example, we are aware that standard extract routines are being offered by all the major Council Tax (CT) system suppliers. If you would like more information about this, contact your system supplier.
The upload process involves automatic mapping of fields to the specification using field name recognition. However, if there are no field names within the extracted data, it will require the person uploading to manually map each field to the appropriate field within the specification on the data file upload system. Therefore, it would be preferable to include field names within the data file if possible.
If the surname and forename fields are not fully populated, or are unpopulated, these fields will still need to be provided as they have to be mapped for the upload to be accepted. CT systems where this is the case will normally also include an aggregated field that holds all name details. Where this happens, the aggregated field should also be provided so it can be mapped to the ‘Full name’ field within the specification.
A date of birth field is included, but it is accepted that this is not routinely stored as it is not mandatory for charging of CT. However, if it is captured, even as an optional field, it should be included in the extraction.
The data should:
- include the Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN) field in your submission if it is populated or part populated
- only be current/live accounts
- relate to all CT accounts, whether or not there is a discount or exemption (i.e. it should cover every domestic property where CT applies)
Transport passes and permits data specification
The Blue Badge Digital Service (BBDS) will upload data on behalf of the local authorities that have opted for this service. If you do not use the BBDS service then you will need to extract and upload the data locally.
Please upload data in 3 separate files:
- current holders of a resident’s parking permit
- current holders of a blue badge (including local schemes)
- current holders of a concessionary travel pass (eg a Freedom pass)
Private supported care home residents data specification
All data should relate to current care home residents at the date of extract who are receiving all, or part, of their funding from the Local Authority.
Council Tax Reduction Scheme data specification
Data should be provided in accordance with the Council Tax Reduction scheme data specification.
Grant recipients data specification
This is a new data specification for 2020-2021.
Company check data specification
This data specification is specifically intended for use of the Bank Account Verification and Active Company Check product.