Licence securities for the import/export of agricultural products

Find out about security payments and refunds when importing or exporting UK Agricultural Policy (UKAP) goods in and out of the UK.

Licence security is a deposit of money to guarantee that you will comply with the terms of your import or export licence. From 1 January 2021 all licence security must be paid in pounds sterling.

Do I need to deposit a security?

Security is required on most import and export licences. If you’re not sure whether you need to deposit a security, call the RPA’s Trader helpline on 03300 416500 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm).

Calculate your security

The amount of security you need to deposit depends on the type of goods and the quantity you are trading. If you’re not sure how much security you need to deposit, call the RPA’s Trader helpline on 03300 416500 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm).

Make a security payment

Single transaction guarantee (STG)

You can use an STG for a single transaction. You need to complete a guarantee form IX6S (Sterling) (PDF, 196KB, 3 pages) and return it to the address on the form.

Block guarantee

You can use a block guarantee for any number of transactions up to the value of the guarantee. RPA will repay your security when your obligations under each specific licence have been met.

You must make sure that there is sufficient available security to cover each transaction. To help you do this RPA will send you a statement each week or every 4 weeks which:

  • lists all outstanding transactions
  • tells you how much of your guarantee is unused

You can also ask RPA for a statement whenever you need one.

You should send new block guarantees to RPA on guarantee form IX5S (Sterling) (PDF, 204KB, 3 pages)

Use the IX7 form (PDF, 243KB, 4 pages) for use of Block Guarantees by more than one trader and the IX8 form (PDF, 222KB, 3 pages) to change trader name and/or ownership.

Security transfers

You can direct bank transfers for single transactions or to provide a block guarantee using the following bank account details: Bank: RBS (NatWest) Sort code: 60-70-80 Account number: 10018433

How and when your security will be returned

When you import or export your goods, you must make a declaration on HMRC’s CHIEF (Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight) system. When you make this declaration, it is automatically attributed against your licence. HMRC will forward the attributed licence to RPA and this acts as proof of import or export.

To refund your security, RPA needs to receive confirmation from Customs that the quantity on your licence has been at least 95% used.

We aim to repay securities within 21 days of receiving confirmation of your licence usage.

Forfeit security

Your security may be forfeited in full or part, if you fail to meet the obligations of your licence.

If your security was paid by a STG or a block guarantee, you will be sent an invoice for the amount of security to be forfeited.

If you pay the invoice within 30 days, RPA will return the STG to your guarantor or credit the value back to your block guarantee. Otherwise, RPA will seek to recover the debt.

Further information

You can find further information regarding the return or forfeit of security in the ET1 leaflet – Traders guide to importing and exporting certain agricultural goods

If you have any general queries about importing or exporting, call the RPA’s Trader Helpline on 03300 416 500 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm).

EUR 2016/1237 EUR 2016/1239

Published 31 March 2014
Last updated 1 January 2021 + show all updates
  1. Wording and regulations updated for 2021

  2. Removed outdated information.

  3. Updated guidance document 'Traders guide to importing and exporting CAP goods (ET1)'.

  4. RPA have new bank account details for Euro payments from 1 March 2016.

  5. First published.