Find out how teachers can access their professional records using teacher self-service online.
The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) maintains the database of qualified teachers in England.
Information available on teachers’ records include:
- teacher reference number (TRN)
- qualified teacher status (QTS)
- induction status
- details of additional leadership qualifications
- mandatory qualifications
Your teacher reference number (TRN)
The TRN is your unique reference number and you’ll be able to use this throughout your teaching career. Please keep it secure and don’t disclose it to anyone other than your employer or a person acting in an official capacity.
If you don’t know your TRN, you can contact the teacher qualifications helpdesk to request your number. You’ll need to provide your full name, date of birth and national insurance number.
Your individual teacher record
You’ll need to use your TRN to access your individual teacher record.
TRN has previously been known as a QTS, GTC, DfE, DfES or DCSF number and therefore may include the letters RP and symbol “/”. Only the 7 digits are need to log in to the teacher self service website.
This service allows you to:
- view your teacher record
- obtain electronic copies of your QTS and induction certificates
- obtain electronic copies of relevant leadership qualification certificates
- update your personal details
- download a letter confirming your teacher qualifications
- input your employment details
If you have any queries about your record, or have difficulty accessing the service please contact:
Qualified teacher status
Telephone 0207 593 5394
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, excluding UK bank holidays.