If you're building homes for sale or rent, or preparing land for homes, we can loan you £250,000 to £250m to cover development or infrastructure costs.
Applies to England
What the fund provides
The Home Building Fund is a flexible source of funding administered by Homes England on behalf of the government.
It provides two types of finance, which we can tailor to your circumstances.
- for meeting the development costs of building homes for sale or rent
- to be taken out over 5 years
- to be drawn down to 31 March 2023
- to prepare the site for the infrastructure needed for housing to progress and land to be prepared
- to be taken out over 20 years
- to be drawn down to 31 March 2025
Infrastructure projects must ultimately lead to the development of new housing.
We want to encourage innovation, both in the kind of homes that are built and the way they are delivered.
Projects you might need funding for could include:
- community-led housing projects
- serviced plots for custom and self-builders
- off-site manufacturing
- new entrants to the market
- groups of small firms working together to deliver larger sites
Who is eligible
If you are a private sector organisation you may be eligible if:
- you are planning on building more than five homes
- you have already purchased a site in England that you have majority control of
- your project may stall or progress much less quickly without this loan
- you are a UK registered corporate entity
You also need to have a clear route to getting planning consent when we make the loan offer.
We cannot fund projects where we think there is an unjustified use of leasehold for new houses.
If the eligibility criteria changes
The Home Building Fund’s eligibility criteria may be updated from time to time to reflect government priorities. Should changes to the eligibility criteria for the Home Building Fund be required we would not be obliged to consult with you about them.
How the fund works
All our lending requires appropriate security and loans are typically secured against property assets.
The key features of the fund are:
- loans of £250,000 to £250 million are available
- we will consider smaller loans for innovative housing solutions and serviced plots for custom builders
- interest is payable at transparent, pre-agreed variable rates
- sales income can be recycled to minimise the loan request
- we will consider subordinated lending
- eligible costs will be discussed with each applicant and depend on the type of funding requested
The fund provides loan finance but we will also consider other forms of financial support. We are an investor in the Housing Growth Partnership which provides equity capital directly for residential development projects.
We also have an investment partnership with Barclays, to provide residential development debt funding to build more homes more quickly. For more information contact 0800 015 1921.
How we prioritise applications
As a government backed initiative, the Home Building Fund also reflects wider government priorities. We are looking for, and will approve applications based on:
- the best value for money for the taxpayer
- projects that focus on areas of highest affordability pressures
- the greatest potential for early delivery
- clear local support
- projects that support policy priorities such as strengthening the Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SME) developer market, brownfield development and diversification and innovation in the housing market
- projects that support wider government housing priorities, such as estate regeneration, garden villages and towns and making use of available public sector land
At the point at which a loan offer is made, applicants are normally required to have a controlling interest in the land and a clear route to achieving planning consent.
Any lending decision we make to you under the Home Building Fund may be changed or withdrawn by us until we have completed due diligence and signed agreements with you. We therefore advise you not to make business decisions assuming your application will be successful until we have signed agreements with you.
Homes England has responsibility for managing the Fund and its lending decisions are final.
How to apply
Contact us online through our enquiry form, or by email, phone or post.
If you meet our criteria, one of our investments team will help you apply.
We allocate you a dedicated transaction manager.
You’ll receive our lending decision and confirmed price.
We complete due diligence and sign the agreement.
You build your homes or infrastructure.
You repay the loan.
Like any development loan, you’ll need to tell us about your development plans and business finances as part of our decision-making process.
Contact us by email
Contact us by phone
Telephone: 0300 1234 500
Contact us by post
Home Building Fund
42 – 50 Victoria Street
London SW1H 0TL
Developer case studies
Some of the stories behind the projects we have supported, both large and small, to deliver the homes we need.
‘Know your customer’ guidance
Costs of a Home Building Fund loan
Understand how we use credit scoring to assess your creditworthiness and collateralisation.