A weekly summary of the latest HM Courts and Tribunals Service operational position for users. We aim to update this every Friday at 4pm.
We email our weekly operational update to our subscribers on Sunday evenings, and share on social media on Monday mornings. Follow us on Twitter to check for daily or urgent updates.
HMCTS operational summary for week commencing Monday 26 September 2022
Next week’s update will be issued on Friday 30 September 2022.
- Reminder: Barristers, solicitors and CILEX practitioners with cross-examination expertise and vulnerable witness and advocacy training are invited to register for court appointed cross-examination work in family and civil proceedings. New Domestic Abuse Act 2021 measures will prohibit alleged perpetrators of domestic abuse and their victims from cross-examining each other, with the court appointing legal practitioners in place of the prohibited parties. Email us for more information on requirements and how to register: email@example.com
- Reminder: We want to continue to improve our communications. Tell us what you think of information you receive in our weekly operational update and our weekly roundup.
- Updated: From Monday 26 September 2022, the Crown Court Digital Case system (DCS) will permit the use of 3 additional Non-CPS Prosecutors: Insolvency Service, Environment Agency and Serious Fraud Office. This follows a period of successful testing and will apply to cases sent to the Crown Court on or after Monday 26 September. Find guidance and training materials for those who use DCS to access, prepare and present case information.
- Updated: Court 14 at Isleworth Crown Court is now operational. This remote courtroom will hear case management and interlocutory hearings where defendants are not required to attend in person. The Judge and Clerk will be physically present in Court 14 and all other required participants will join hearings using video link technology. Members of the public and the press can view proceedings in the Court 14 public gallery, which will livestream all cases. This courtroom will provide additional capacity and allow other jury enabled courtrooms in the building to list trials. We carried out essential works in these rooms over the summer to prepare the courtroom and viewing gallery for operational use.
- Reminder: Criminal defence representatives should include the words “BAR ACTION” in the subject line of any email to the court about affected cases, so we can make the relevant judge aware as quickly as possible.
- Updated: From Thursday 15 September 2022, legal representatives must respond to claims for damages under Practice Direction 51ZB using the damages claim portal. This applies to claims issued on or after 15 September. The Damages Claims team based at the County Court Money Claims Centre in Salford will return paper responses where responses should have been made online. They will also process those cases that move from the online to the paper route, for example where only part of the claim is accepted. Read our guidance for legal representatives on how to register with MyHMCTS.
- Reminder: For the most up-to-date information on the progress of your probate application, check the MyHMTCS dashboard. Find step-by-step guidance on applying for probate with MyHMCTS.
Judicial guidance and announcements
- Week commencing Monday 5 September 2022
- Week commencing Monday 29 August 2022
- Week commencing Monday 22 August 2022
- Week commencing Monday 15 August 2022
- Week commencing Monday 8 August 2022
- Week commencing Monday 1 August 2022
- Week commencing Monday 25 July 2022
- Week commencing Monday 18 July 2022
- Week commencing Monday 11 July 2022
- Week commencing Monday 4 July 2022
- Week commencing Monday 27 June 2022
- Week commencing Monday 20 June 2022