A weekly summary of the latest HM Courts and Tribunals Service operational position for users. We aim to update this every Friday at 4pm.
We email our weekly operational update to our subscribers on Sunday evenings, and share on social media on Monday mornings. Follow us on Twitter to check for daily or urgent updates.
HMCTS operational summary for week commencing Monday 27 June 2022
Next week’s update will be issued on Friday 1 July 2022.
- Updated: Barristers, solicitors and CILEX practitioners with cross-examination expertise and vulnerable witness and advocacy training are invited to register for court appointed cross-examination work in family and civil proceedings. New Domestic Abuse Act 2021 measures will prohibit alleged perpetrators of domestic abuse and their victims from cross-examining each other, with the court appointing legal practitioners in place of the prohibited parties. For information on requirements and how to register, please contact: QLRCross-Exam@justice.gov.uk.
- Reminder: If you’re a professional user, you can raise any concerns about our court or tribunal buildings directly with local staff in the building, who are best able to help resolve these issues. You can also let us know about an issue centrally via GOV.UK, and we’ll direct your concern to the right local team. If you need to escalate any issue, you can do so through your regional support unit (contact details available locally) or professional representative organisation. If you feel your issue has not been resolved, you can also make a complaint at any time.
Updated: The HMCTS Crime Programme Board and senior judiciary have given their approval for Common Platform to be implemented at more criminal courts across England and Wales. Common Platform will be introduced to the following 29 court sites between the beginning of July and the end of August (the below dates may be subject to change):
- Week commencing Monday 4 July 2022 - Nottinghamshire: Nottingham Crown Court, Nottingham Magistrates’ Court, Mansfield Magistrates’ Court
- Week commencing Monday 11 July 2022 - Wiltshire: Swindon Crown Court, Swindon Magistrates’ Court, Salisbury Crown Court, Salisbury Magistrates’ Court
- Week commencing Monday 18 July 2022 - South Wales & Gwent: Cardiff Crown, Cardiff Magistrates’ Court, Merthyr Tydfil Magistrates’ Court, Llandrindod Wells Magistrates’ Court, Swansea Magistrates’ Court, Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court, Newport Crown, Newport Magistrates’ Court, Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court
- Week commencing Monday 18 July 2022 - Greater Manchester: Manchester Crown Court (Minshull Street), Manchester Crown Court (Crown Square), Manchester Magistrates’ Court, Tameside Magistrates’ Court, Stockport Magistrates’ Court, Bolton Crown Court (co-located with Magistrates), Bolton Magistrates’ Court, Wigan & Leigh Magistrates’ Court
- Week commencing Monday 1 August 2022 - North Yorkshire: York Crown Court, Harrogate Magistrates’ Court, Scarborough Justice Centre, Skipton Magistrates’ Court, York Magistrates’ Court
- Reminder: From Wednesday 22 June 2022, criminal defence representatives should include the words “BAR ACTION” in the subject line of any email to the court about affected cases, so we can make the relevant judge aware as quickly as possible.
- Reminder: Victims and witnesses of crimes such as rape and modern slavery can now have their cross-examination pre-recorded and played back later during the trial in 11 additional Crown Courts.
- Reminder: Defence professionals can find step-by-step guidance on how to use Common Platform. There is also guidance for organisational administrators at legal firms and chambers on creating user accounts, assigning roles, and other system tasks.
- Reminder: A recording of our recent webinar on the Video Hearings service is now available to view.
Judicial guidance and announcements
- Week commencing Monday 20 June 2022
- Week commencing Monday 13 June 2022
- Week commencing Monday 6 June 2022
- Week commencing Monday 30 May 2022
- Week commencing Monday 23 May 2022
- Week commencing Monday 16 May 2022
- Week commencing Monday 9 May 2022
- Week commencing Monday 2 May 2022
- Week commencing Monday 25 April 2022
- Week commencing Monday 18 April 2022
- Week commencing Monday 11 April 2022
- Week commencing Monday 4 April 2022