Driver, vehicle, cargo and customs documents required to transport goods into the EU after Brexit

Hauliers will not be able to move goods across EU borders or drive in the EU without the correct documentation after Brexit.

Stay up to date

The UK is leaving the EU. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit and will be updated if anything changes.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.

Download the border readiness leaflet

The information in the downloadable leaflet is the same as the information on this web page. Download the leaflet if you want to save or print a copy of the information.

Hauliers and commercial drivers: you will need new documents to transport goods into the EU after Brexit

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

The information summarises document requirements for hauliers and commercial drivers.

UK hauliers and commercial drivers who operate in the EU will not be able to move goods across EU borders or drive in the EU without the correct documentation..

Driver documents

  • international driving permit(s) (IDP) in some countries (France, Italy and Cyprus)
  • passport with at least 6 months left to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland)

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

  • ECMT permit for some journeys

Note that 99% of journeys between the UK and the EU will continue as they are now, and will not need a permit, until at least 31 May 2020.

  • driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
  • tachograph driver card

Vehicle documents

  • motor insurance green card(s)
  • GB Sticker on the vehicle and trailer
  • vehicle log book

Customs and cargo documents

You will need to request separate documents from your exporter for the cargo you are carrying.

You will need additional documents if you are transporting:

  • high risk goods
  • animal / plant / other controlled products

It is the responsibility of the exporter to provide these documents, but they will be needed to take goods across the border.

Check local customs processes for France, Holland, Spain and Belgium.

See also – Dutch ports Brexit guidance

Published 23 September 2019