Get help with a tax issue as a mid-sized business

Use this service to ask for help as a mid-sized business with a UK turnover above £10 million or at least 20 employees.

You can get specialist help from HMRC if you have a complex tax issue and:

  • you cannot find the information you need on GOV.UK
  • there is not a dedicated team in HMRC that you can contact

The mid-sized business Customer Engagement Team will help deal with your query or direct you to someone who can.

If you’re a mid-sized business experiencing growth, you may be able to get additional support for growing businesses.

Who can use this service

This service can be used by any mid-sized business with either:

  • a UK turnover above £10 million
  • at least 20 employees

How to apply

You’ll need:

  • a Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have one, you can create one when you apply
  • your business’s contact details - including name, correspondence address
  • your unique taxpayer reference (known as a ‘UTR’), VAT registration number or employer PAYE reference
  • details of your business’s annual turnover and number of employees
  • you or your representative’s contact details

If you want to provide documents to support your application they’ll need to be less than 5MB each and in a commonly used format, like PDF, JPEG or DOCX.


If your question cannot be answered through GOV.UK content or by contacting a dedicated team in HMRC, we’ll appoint someone to help you with your query.

Published 20 September 2017