Export of fish and shellfish products

Check if you need a certificate to export fish, molluscs and crustaceans (shellfish) products.

This guidance was withdrawn on

This page has been replaced by a newer version. Go to Export fish after a no-deal Brexit for the latest information.

Exports to the EU if there’s a no deal Brexit

You’ll need to apply for an export health certificate (EHC) if you’re exporting fish, molluscs and crustaceans (shellfish) to the EU if there’s a no deal Brexit

Find out how to apply for an EHC and download the forms.

Outside the EU

If your goods are not being used as food, check with the fish authority in the destination country (or their embassy in the UK) to find out what documentation you need.

If you’re exporting fish or shellfish product to be used as food, check if you need a:

Check if you need an EHC

You’ll usually need to complete an EHC and some supporting documents to be able to export live fish and shellfish.

The EHC is an official document that confirms your export meets the health requirements of the destination country.

Find out how to apply for an EHC and download the forms.

There are some types of live fish and shellfish you cannot export, and some cases where you do not need a certificate. If you cannot find the EHC you need, contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).

Check if you need a UK catch certificate

You need a UK catch certificate to export marine caught fish for human consumption to:

  • Iceland
  • Ivory Coast
  • Kuwait
  • Madagascar
  • Norway
  • Thailand
  • Tunisia
  • Ukraine
  • any other non-EU country if you’ll re-import the fish back to the EU

You do not need a catch certificate to export:

  • farmed fish and shellfish, or freshwater fish
  • mussels, cockles, oysters and scallops
  • fish fry or larvae

How to apply

Fill in a multiple vessel schedule (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 524KB). Email your completed form to

If the fish came from more than one UK vessel, also fill in a form FED1012 (PDF, 29.6KB, 2 pages). Submit it with the catch certificate application form.

If you’re exporting from Scotland, contact Marine Scotland to get the certificate.


UK Illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) catch certificate centre
Telephone: 0300 123 1032
Fax: 0207 238 5147
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges.

Published 8 November 2016
Last updated 22 August 2019 + show all updates
  1. Updated EHC section to make it more to the point.

  2. Removed the content for live fish exports because this is covered under another page. This page is now soley about fish ad shellfish product to save confusion for our users.

  3. Removed Cefas because this page is referring to the export of animal product not live animal movements.

  4. Added information for exporters about how to get an export health certificate if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

  5. First published.