eMarketplace: a guide for public sector buyers
Access online catalogues and get quotes for the procurement of low value goods and services across the public sector.
If you are a government department or public sector organisation with a requirement for common goods or services the Government eMarketplace from the Crown Commercial Service (CCS) gives you access to a range of buying options.
How to register for access
There are two levels of access for you to choose from:
- Standalone web access
- Fully integrated access
Already registered? Log on to the eMarketplace
Standalone web access
This option enables you to access the eMarketplace via a web link. When placing an order purchase orders and invoices can be processed via the eMarketplace. However, if you wish to process purchase orders through your own system you will need to manually record the order details from the eMarketplace and input the order onto your system following your usual business process.
To sign up for this option please complete the eMarketplace set up form
You will also need to sign a user agreement. We will send you a copy once we receive your set-up form.
Fully integrated access
This option enables you to fully integrate the eMarketplace with your organisation’s own Enterprise Performance Management (eg Oracle or SAP) or other purchase to pay system. The cost and time of integration will depend on the amount of work needed and can vary by organisation.
To sign up for fully integrated access or find out more please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Buying through an online catalogue, such as the technology catalogue, is ideal when a CCS agreement does not require further competition. Benefits include:
- reduced costs with catalogues based on aggregated contracts, often with committed volumes, that help to drive down the price you pay
- reduced transactional costs with a choice of access modules from fully integrated, where the transaction is processed through your P2P solution, to a ‘pay as you go’ module where the transaction is paid for with a procurement card
- elimination of paper-based ordering as suppliers receive their purchase orders electronically
- safe, secure ordering as the Government eMarketplace is accredited to HMG Level 2 or IL2 and can be accessed directly over the internet or via GSi or N3
- improved efficiency - the use of centrally agreed deals will free up resources for strategic procurement and help to lower operational budgets
The Contracts Directory part of the Government eMarketplace enables you to access frameworks, contracts and supplier lists, such as Communications Marketplace.
It allows you to get electronic requests for quotes with suitable suppliers and raise electronic purchase orders.
Use this option to:
- search for potential suppliers on a framework or supplier list
- fulfil simple purchasing requirements where there is no need for complex evaluation
- obtain pricing when a fixed price isn’t available through a catalogue
Electronic request for quote
This function, also known as Dynamic Marketplace, provides an online open marketplace for low value, simple purchasing requirements making it easier for SMEs to bid for work.
With no need to go through a lengthy tender process it can be a more efficient way to buy what you need and management information will help you control spend.
Use this option when fixed pricing isn’t available through a catalogue and your straightforward, low value requirement, eg below the EU threshold, cannot be met by a framework or Contracts Directory.
Help and support
Email eMarketplace@crowncommercial.gov.uk or call 0345 410 2222 if you have any questions about eMarketplace.
Published: 15 October 2014