Rules on drivers’ hours and tachographs for goods vehicles in Great Britain and Europe.
This guide gives general guidance about drivers’ and tachograph rules for goods vehicles.
Check the legislation in annex 1 and get legal advice to check your legal position.
The guidance reflects the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency’s current enforcement policy. It doesn’t reflect interpretation of the law in other countries.
How to print this guide
Use the ‘Print this page’ link at the bottom of each page you need to print.
- Introduction Overview of which drivers' hours and tachograph rules for goods vehicles apply in different situations.
- 1. EU and AETR rules on drivers’ hours How the EU drivers' hours rules for goods vehicles work.
- 2. Great Britain domestic rules How the drivers' hours Great Britain domestic rules work for goods vehicles.
- 3. Mixed EU/AETR and Great Britain domestic driving How the drivers' hours rules work when you're driving a goods vehicle under a mix of the EU and Great Britain rules.
- 4. Tachograph rules The rules about the tachograph that you must use to record your EC/AETR drivers' hours in a goods vehicle.
- 5. Enforcement and penalties The powers and sanctions available to enforce breaches of drivers' hours for goods vehicles.
- Annex 1. Legislation The legislation about drivers' hours rules.
- Annex 2. Working time rules The working time rules that apply to you depend on whether you drive a vehicle in scope of the EU or GB domestic drivers’ hours rules.
- Annex 3: Example of a weekly record sheet Download an example of a weekly record sheet.