Rules on drivers’ hours and tachographs for goods vehicles in Great Britain and Europe.
This guide (sometimes known as the ‘GV262’) gives general guidance about drivers’ and tachograph rules for goods vehicles.
It reflects the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency’s current enforcement policy. It does not reflect interpretation of the law in other countries.
Check the legislation in annex 1 and get legal advice to check your legal position.
Drivers’ hours and Brexit
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the EU drivers’ hours and tachograph rules will be kept as UK law.
Journeys within the UK that are currently covered by EU rules will still be covered by these rules.
International journeys that start or end in the UK (including to and from EU countries) will be covered by AETR rules. These match the EU rules, so it will not change what you must do to follow the rules.
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, we will update this manual to confirm that the EU rules will be kept.
There’s different guidance about drivers’ hours and tachographs for passenger vehicle drivers.
- Introduction Overview of which drivers' hours and tachograph rules for goods vehicles apply in different situations.
- 1. EU and AETR rules on drivers’ hours How the EU drivers' hours rules for goods vehicles work.
- 2. Great Britain domestic rules How the drivers' hours Great Britain domestic rules work for goods vehicles.
- 3. Mixed EU/AETR and Great Britain domestic driving How the drivers' hours rules work when you're driving a goods vehicle under a mix of the EU and Great Britain rules.
- 4. Tachograph rules The rules about the tachograph that you must use to record your EC/AETR drivers' hours in a goods vehicle.
- 5. Enforcement and penalties The powers and sanctions available to enforce breaches of drivers' hours for goods vehicles.
- Annex 1. Legislation The legislation about drivers' hours rules.
- Annex 2. Working time rules The working time rules that apply to you depend on whether you drive a vehicle in scope of the EU or GB domestic drivers’ hours rules.
- Annex 3: Example of a weekly record sheet Download an example of a weekly record sheet.