Rules on drivers’ hours and tachographs for vehicles used for the carriage of goods in Great Britain and Europe.
This guide (sometimes known as the ‘GV262’) gives general guidance about drivers’ and tachograph rules for vehicles used for the carriage of goods.
A vehicle does not need to be categorised or registered as a ‘goods vehicle’ to be in scope of drivers’ hours rules, as it is the size, construction and use of it which are the determining factors. For ease, this guide refers to ‘goods vehicles’.
This guide reflects the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency’s current enforcement policy. It does not reflect the interpretation of the law in other countries.
Check the legislation in annex 1 and get legal advice to check your legal position.
There’s different guidance about drivers’ hours and tachographs for passenger vehicle drivers.
- Introduction Overview of which drivers' hours and tachograph rules apply in different situations for vehicles used for the carriage of goods.
- 1. EU and AETR rules on drivers’ hours How the EU drivers' hours rules for goods vehicles work.
- 2. Great Britain domestic rules on drivers' hours How the Great Britain drivers' hours domestic rules work for goods vehicles.
- 3. Mixed EU/AETR and Great Britain domestic driving How the drivers' hours rules apply when driving a goods vehicle under a mix of the EU/ AETR and Great Britain rules.
- 4. Tachograph rules The rules about the tachograph that must be used by drivers to record EU or AETR drivers' hours.
- 5. Responsibilities of vehicle operators Legal responsibilities and liabilities operators have for their own and their drivers' compliance with the regulations.
- 6. Enforcement and penalties The powers and sanctions available to enforce breaches of drivers' hours and tachograph rules.
- Annex 1. Legislation The legislation about drivers' hours rules.
- Annex 2. Working time rules The working time rules that apply to you depend on whether you drive a vehicle in scope of the EU or GB domestic drivers’ hours rules.
- Annex 3: Example of a weekly record sheet Download an example of a weekly record sheet.