Information for candidates applying for the Deputy Directors vacancies in the Government Legal Department
|Department||Government Legal Department|
|Division||Commercial Law Group|
|Job title||Deputy Directors|
|Location||London, Leeds and Manchester|
|Salary||£65,000 to £98,000|
|Application deadline||9am on Monday 6 August 2018|
The Government Legal Department (GLD) is the largest provider of legal services across government, working with all the main Whitehall departments. From roads to rivers, and health to human rights, our work touches on most aspects of public life.
The department has more than 14 client-facing advisory teams who provide legal advice on the development, design and implementation of government policies and decisions, draft secondary legislation and work with Parliamentary Counsel on primary legislation.
Our cross-cutting expert service groups for Litigation, Employment and Commercial Law provide specialist legal services to a wide range of government departments and public bodies.
We are a non-ministerial government department with more than 2,200 employees, around 1,800 of whom are solicitors or barristers. The department is based primarily in London but has teams in Manchester Bristol and Leeds.
We have Deputy Directors vacancies in the Commercial Law Group.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that legal advice of the highest quality is provided to client departmental ministers and officials, providing that advice personally where required;
- Sustaining an environment in which legal analysis is properly integrated into the decision making and organisational culture of client departments;
- Providing visible and effective leadership of the team and group, assessing and managing demand for legal work, planning and negotiating budgets and resources to meet legal needs;
- Engaging staff and leading change to develop a flexible, confident, innovative and efficient team;
- Developing the skills and capability of the people under your direction;
- Contributing to the wider leadership of GLD in delivering consistent and excellent value-for-money commercial legal services to government.
For further information and to apply, please visit the Civil Service Jobs Website.